Tuesday, September 3, 2013

All cats will have to be neutered by law in Belgium by September 2014



When I first learned about this, it made a lot of sense to me. I had recently become a cat owner due to the fact that someone gave her 2 cats away because she no longer was able to keep them herself. At that time I had been looking for a cat because I wanted one to catch mice in my garden. I was surprised how easy it was to become a cat owner: there seemed to be litters everywhere and animal shelters seemed to be full of cats. I also learned that a lot of cats in shelters ended up dead or euthanized because there were no suitable owners to be found. That said I still am glad that I got my cats straight from the owner and that I opted for both cats instead of the one I first had wanted.

As soon as the cats were effectively in my home it suddenly dawned on me how many cats there were in my neighbourhood and in my own backyard for that matter. Most of them belong to dedicated owners but some clearly were strays. Needless to say what happens if/ when stray cats start breeding: there are even more stray cats and not nearly enough prospective cat owners around to feed them. That means that every year more cats will end up in shelters and possibly euthanized if no owner or prospective owner turns up.
Therefore I found it plausible at first when I learned that stray cats and cats in shelters were going to be neutered before they would be given to new owners. That way the number of stray cats would be reduced because they no longer would be able to procreate in the wild and unattended for.

In a second phase private cat owners who want to sell or give away their cats to someone else will be required to have the cats neutered before they are sold or given away. This I also am able to understand somewhat because that way when the new owner is not able to look after the cats properly at least the cats will not end up with litter and unattended for.

Further down the line of the law is also stated that its goal is that in the end all cats would become neutered. That is the bit that makes no sense to me. If all cats are going to be neutered how on Earth will cats be able to procreate? If cats are no longer able to procreate there will be a moment where there are no longer any cats.
Wait a minute! There is one thing I did not read in this law. Commercial kennels and cat breeders were not mentioned in this law. This means that they still will be able to breed cats. To my knowledge cats bred in kennels by professional breeders are pedigree cats. Why does this make me think of Harry Potter and Slytherin were no mudbloods are allowed and only those of pure blood are?
Why are some cats more equal than others?

No comments:

Post a Comment