Thursday, August 8, 2013

Belgian rules and regulations.






At times some Belgian rules and regulations drive me crazy. On top of this, nowadays in Belgium there seem to be more rules emerging out of nowhere than ever before in history.

I am aware of the fact that we need to have rules in order to avoid chaos, but sometimes things can get out of hand!

Last night as I was watching the news, I really could not believe my ears at first. It was announced that from now on the rules and regulations for road signs would be made stricter for small businesses. I did wonder what they meant by that.

Apparently there are too many road signs along Belgian roads. I guess too many signs can make a person confused at times. To avoid said problems and confusion it has now been decided upon that only official road signs will be allowed from now on. Private road signs leading to small businesses will become prohibited.

Private signs leading to one off parties such as marriages and birthday parties would be allowed but only on the day of the occasion.

I do wonder what is meant by small businesses. As I live sort of rurally I occasionally see signs such as ‘eggs for sale’ and things similar. Those signs are not always put up there by businesses but also by private persons keeping chickens or growing fruit trees and wanting to share/ sell their excess produce. As a matter of fact, I feel that people selling excess eggs are doing the community a favour. In this day and age good food should not be wasted! In my view it is better to sell your eggs or to give them to a neighbour who has forgotten to buy eggs at the supermarket and only realizes this at a time the supermarket is closed! Therefore I like those signs. It assures me to know that in the event that I have forgotten to buy eggs, I can be sure that my neighbour will have some for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment